Saturday, August 4, 2007

Kochapps and the Exchange Offer

By the time I reached his house I was sweating ; it was very sultry, but not as sultry as the heroine I had in mind for Liz's role,in my proposed movie.I couldn't discuss any thing with him as he had a guest, an ardent worker and member of the CPI(M), from Kannur.I joined their conversation; over a cup of hot tea.
Kochapps son is appearing for his final exams and the topic of conversation turned to education.

Kochapps mentioned in general about the burden of studies and exams on children these days.
'' But in Kerala things are different. We the LDF ministry has Out -Of -Box thinking. They have, to raise funds for sports education, started 'Sports Lottery'. This year they have done something similar in SSA exams. It induces bit of adventure, luck and less burden for students.'' The man from Kannur said
'' That is interesting'' Kochappan showed his interest. '' Kerala always comes up with
un imaginable things.Tell me more about it'' he pleaded.

'' Some bundles of question papers , which were sent from the press at Trivandrum to various exam centres, were loosely tied and sent through open trucks so that question papers which fly off the lorry could be picked by the lucky ones, and write the exam without preparation. Some students from Kayamkulam, Kottayam, and Thalassery got this lottery of question papers from the road and did well in the exams. We termed it 'Out- Of -Box' thinking because papers came out of the box from the lorry.''

I don't think any one of us would have been lucky enough to see Mr.Einstein or Mr. Darwin sitting back after having accomplished their respective inventions.That man from Kannur demonstrated that after his soliloquy.

After telling us about few more achievements of LDF ministry he left both of us; alone together.
Pregnant silence hung in the air for few seconds ; it fell and broke later on. On his leaving
Kochapps commented thus '' I like long walks especially when it is taken by people like him''.

'' I will walk with you upto the busstop'' he offered. We walked past the shops which were closing for the day. Traffic was thin. I wanted to talk about my film to him but refrained
from doing so. Because, for all you know , when Iam gone he might say ' some people spread happiness whereever they go, and some whenever they go'.

Near the stadium where I get down to go home 'Fab Mall' has a hoarding , like the Amul or Air India ones, announcing new schemes and bargains. The one painted today read
' We exchange everything , Ovens, Wasing machines etc. Why not bring your wife along
and get a wonderful bargain. '

I should tell Kochapps to come with his wife, along with me and Komala to see what they offer in exchange !!

That offer goes anyone of you too !

Menon (aniyan)

No comments: