Saturday, August 4, 2007

Kochappan's Man of the Match

Because of the the examination of his son and his internal audits towards the year end, I had restrained myself from contacting him.But today I decided to go to his place before the cricket match telecast starts;between Englad and Ireland.

''Haven't heard much about Ireland'' I thought aloud.
'' But they have have made the exit of Pakistan and woolmer easy'' said kochappan.
'' Tragic; the exit of both'' my comment was short.
Who would you blame for India's exit?'' Kochapps asked.
'' I don't know. May be Greg or Tendulkar'' I remarked casually.

' Indira Gandhi'' Kochappan said .

''Indira Gandhi?'' I couldn't make out the connection.
'' Yes! She had a big role in the formation of Bangladesh'' !!! ''This is not my opinion; its the joke going'' he added.

'' We don't know much about Ireland but they know about us.'' Kochappan continued.
'' When I spoke to crowd of three hundred people they were shaking their head from side to side which in Ireland will equate to a very loud verbal No. But I understand that here in India
it is the other way ; showing agreement or approval''. Kochappan paused.
''who said that'' I asked.

''Eugiene Houston. He, on behalf of five companies,on a recruitment drive,gave a talk on cultural aspectsof Ireland to job aspirants and applicants who had assembled in the conference hall of a hotel at Bangalore.''
''India has become a knowledge source.Has it not?'' I was proud .

'' Yes but in cricket we are an exaggerated side. The national pride overtakes objective analysis.'' Kochapps commented.
We carried on conversation on cricket and it obviously came to Gavaskar's comment on Australian sledging and the reactions. Kochappan agreed with Gavaskar's comments fully.

'' They do it beyond levels of decency . Once when Botham came to the crease Marsh welcomed him with these friendly query '' So how is your wife and my kids?''.
'' But have they not got it back in the same coin any time?'' I asked.

Kochapps gave me two instances of that happening. When I was driving back home I remembered the instances and the words.
'' Why are you so fat'' Macgrath taunted Eddy Brandes of Zimbabwe who was knocking the ball around.
'' Because everytime I made love to your wife, she gave me biscuits'' was Eddy's reply.

''What does Brian's di*k taste like'' was Macgrath's question to Sarwan.
'' I don't know ask your wife'' was Sarwan's reply.

Gavaskar would have awarded the 'Man of the Match' to Sarwan for that !!

menon (aniyan)

No comments: