Saturday, August 4, 2007

I went to Godot

The gate creaked a little.The hinges had rust on it. We all tend gather rust as we age. The gates creak ; we croak. That's the essential difference between men and gates. Well, let's leave gates behind and proceed.Which I did ; towards his portico. The sole intention ?. To get his feed back on my recent writing on 'The Cat' .

His smile, on seeing me, was like ' sunshine on a rainy day ' ; literally and figuratively. After sitting, exchanging pleasantries etc in that order, I asked him about his comments on my writing.

After a pregnant silence he delivered. '' I will quote what Dr.Johnson said in a similar situation. Your manuscript is both original and good. That part which is original is not good and that part which is good is not original.''

'' What do you think would be your reader's reaction?.'' He asked me. '' Be frank'' he added.

" I thought they would have been literally glued to the seat while reading it. I am being frank'' I said with conviction.

The teacher in him woke up, yawned and said '' My dear aniyan, if the brand of the glue were to be Fevicol , manufactured by Pidilite Industries, they may not have been able to stand up from their seat after reading your writing. You should have used the word 'figuratively' instead of ' literally'. Develop precision in use of language''.

'' You think Kulkarni lnt ebg, Guru, or Sekhar will be, on opening their mail,at 7pm, after a tiring day,be interested in reading about a cat( which they have never seen or heard) getting pregnanat and delivering in your wife's cupboard.''

He continued '' Do you know the damage it does to your reputation? By your admitting that your wife is eyeing you with suspicion about the cat's pregnancy''.

He was really concerned about my welfare.'' These people are going to keep their pet animals , like cats ,dogs etc locked in some room, when you visit them, for the fear of these becoming pregnant during your stay there?.''

'' Even George Bush had thought of the after effects of Iraq ; but you didn' t in your case. Iam surprised !'' He stopped.

I donot know wheher you would have seen Mulayam singh Yadav's face when Myavati defeated him in UP. I would have almost looked the same ; defeated look.

I will tell you what I felt like when I was returning home; I felt useless ;
As useless as a pulled tooth !!!

menon ( aniyan )

No comments: