Saturday, August 4, 2007

Kochappan's Awards

'' The year- 1965. The month - November. The venue - Schller Theater, Berlin.
Stood Seaphen Wigger and Horst Bollman doing the roles of Vladimir and Estrogen, in the famous Samuel Beckett's highly acclaimed drama
' Waiting for Godot ' ; A Godot who never comes. The drama is about the fundamental human question of the 'reason and purpose of human existance'.

The year- 2007. The month - June. The venue - The living room of of a small house at Kochi. Sits, and occasionally stands Menon , in front of his computer,
' Waiting for Kochappan ' ; his comments on his attempt at writing; on 'Cats'.
which incidentally, for the time being, is the ' reason and purpose' of his living.But it never came. ''

That is what I would have written had you asked me about my condition now.
Waiting for the Godot who never comes.

On not getting any response from his telephone I rang up Guru, another friend of our's. Guru was his colleague and would know about his whereabouts; hence my call to him.He told me that Kochapps is a member of a committee which decides on promotions and awards for the employees of his organisation, and is busy with the selection process.
''Though he is not an HR man his inclusion in the committee is because he is brilliant and innovative.'' said Guru.

'' Innovative ?''. I asked. I was wondering the role of innovation in award decisions.

'' Yes''.affirmed Guru.

'' Examples , please '' I demanded.

'' Examples?. Take it .'' For the first time he has announced an award for
' Selective Hearing Impairment award' .'' Guru served the example with the same pride as Mallikarjun of Bharath Tourist Home would serve his Masala Dosa .

'' Elucidate '' I went into the British English mode.

'' This award is for ' An employee who excels in at the skill of hearing only what he wants to hear and does that job alone'. Guru gave me the look Mallikarjun used to give me after serving the M dosa.

'' Genius, this Kochappan ! '' I admitted.'' Any more of his genius stuff ? Can you serve one more of those? '' . I asked .

'' Best Dancer of the year award'' said Guru. After taking fairly large measure of air from the atmosphere he continued.

'' This is for 'An employee who has excelled in the art of dancing their way around issues''.

I put the phone down. I bent my head in reverence to Kochappan ; probably for the third time in the last few months.

It has started to rain. I opened the windows wide to let the cold air in. Its the begining of monsoon. I covered myself with a sheet,lay sideways and looked out through the window. Kochappan was never a brilliant student in school or for that matter even in college. Aren't you being jealous ?. I asked myself .

No. he himself had told me this " I had failed in 10th standard once because of Pneumonia. Not because I had it but because I could not spell it''.

See where he is now. Internal Audit, Awards committee etc.

The rain is coming down heavily now. I could hear the croaks ; the frogs were welcoming the rains. I shall try Kochapps tomorrow. Will it be another wait for Godot;the man who never came?

Let's see ........


menon ( aniyan )

No comments: