Saturday, August 4, 2007

Kochappan's Nose.

My wife got off her school bus . I donot know why one 'gets out' of a car and then
'gets off' a bus. Well, that's not the point.She started walking on the pavement .
Till this point things were pretty straight and un eventful. And then it took place ; the fall.

She fell flat.

She thought that concrete slabs on the walk way were even, on the same level. But the slabs knew that they were not ; hence the confusion . Her perpendicularity became horizontality. She fell or was felled by the slabs.The sound of soft, but heavy stuff falling on concrete is generally known as the 'Thud' sound. In this case it was not different. The customary blood smearing, swelling etc took place. Her colleague's face fell .Things fell in place by Medical Aid from a near by clinic and without much ado the situation was handled by her colleague.They returned.

'' The first time your wife had fallen was when she fell for you, about 25 years ago. She was trying hard to recover from that fall and now another one. ''sad, really sad'' was Kochappan's comment thro E mail from Malayasia. '' You would have ' paid through your nose' was his observation.

I normally pay from my hand and not thro my nose. This fellow Kochapps has got the anatomy and it's functions confused.He has told me many times that he has a 'running nose' and his ' feet smells'. Such a fellow may ' Pay through his nose' !!

He E mailed this to me.'' when the Vikings ruled Ireland between the Ninth and Tenth centuries they apparently levied '' Nose tax'' from the Irish.Those who refused to pay had their nose slit. The poor Irish had to pay heavy amounts to save their nose; hence the phrase.
My face fell. I should not have made fun of him.

I shut down the computer after reading the mail. Put off the lights and looked at my wife who was sleeping.There were few marks from the fall, on her face. Probably not as bad as the wounds I may have inflicted on her during our life together.

The wounds are gone but the scars still remain.

Her nose was not running and her feet were not smelling. She was in blissful sleep.

I closed the door gently and tip - toed to the bed.

menon (aniyan)

No comments: